On 3/27/18 11:50 AM, Nicholas Alexander wrote:
- some of the details of "likely to break remote XUL consumers"?  Which consumers are these -- internal?  External?

This is referring to my proposed XPConnect/Components changes, right?

External. We have no internal consumers of remote XUL outside our test suite, and obviously I would fix the tests as needed (there's not much needed).

- do we have an estimate of how much remote XUL is used in our own test suite?

https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/search?q=.xul&case=false&regexp=false&path=mochitest.ini shows 8 mochitests using it.

https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/search?q=.xul&path=reftest.list shows 280-ish reftests using it, mostly testing actual XUL layout functionality.

https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/search?q=.xul&case=false&regexp=false&path=crashtests.list shows ~170 crashtests that are XUL files.

https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/search?q=%3Cbindings&path=test shows ~220 XBL files used in tests, though some of those overlap with one of the earlier lists (e.g. XBL being pulled in by a .xul test). Presumably we need to address these anyway for XBL removal.

There might be some other bits I'm missing (e.g. browser tests loading XUL files in tabs or something), but the above seems like a bare minimum estimate for the usage.

Is this days/weeks/months of labour to replace?

Definitely not days. Probably doable in "weeks", though a lot of that depends on what we replace with. Presumably chrome tests loaded with system principal to replace the mochitests (including the ones using XBL); that one is not hard to do, but will need auditing the tests to make sure they still make sense in the aftermath. For the reftests and crashtests, we need to figure out the right replacement.

- do we have any idea of the popularity of `dom.allow_XUL_XBL_for_file`?  Do we expect this usage is all internal? (I really hope so!)

I don't, and I really hope so too....

Sorry to ask for work (before you do the real work),

Nah, all your questions are totally reasonable.  ;)

-Boris