On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 03:48:24PM +0000, Dave Townsend wrote:
My understanding is that it has been effectively unsupported for some time
anyway so I think we should just go ahead and disable it altogether at this
point. If we need bits for automated tests then we should work to switch
tests away from those if we can.

This has been my understanding too. When we removed support for remote XUL by default, and then eventually moved it to a site whitelist, those were both stepping stones to removing support entirely. But it's been officially unsupported since the first step, and there hasn't been any way to enable it since we removed legacy extension support.

It's also been progressively breaking over time, and I've been WONTFIXing bugs about remote XUL with prejudice.

If whatever support is left is causing development friction, we should just remove it.