On Thursday 2018-05-03 09:26 -0500, Tom Ritter wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 2:00 AM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 12:51 AM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:
> >> Please reply to this thread if you think there's something we should
> >> say as part of this charter review, or if you think we should
> >> support or oppose it.
> >
> > Perhaps I've missed something, but I feel like we never resolved the
> > security question around high-resolution sensors. If I haven't missed
> > anything, I suggest we say we're still skeptical about exposing these
> > to the web.
>
> Yea, I'm concerned about this as well.

On the flip side, sensor APIs are offered by mobile (and to some
degree desktop) operating systems and widely used by apps running on
them, and there's clear demand for having them on the Web.  So I
think it seems worth having a clear venue for that discussion, which
would suggest that it's good to have the discussion in the scope of
the working group.

I'm inclined to think that if we want to suggest changes to address
this security/privacy issue, we should be suggesting clarifying the
success criteria for the working group so that these issues are
clearly considered, and making it more explicitly OK for the group
to decide not to produce some of its deliverables.

The final paragraph of section "1. Goals" already says a bit here,
as does the third paragraph of "2.1 Success Criteria", but perhaps
there's more to say, perhaps by making not producing a spec
explicitly OK in both "2.1 Success Criteria" and "3. Deliverables"?
And perhaps something in there should also explicitly mention the
difficulty of properly informing the user in order to obtain
informed consent for the real risks underlying the sensors, or
something like that?

Or do you instead think that some of the deliverables should be
removed from the charter because they're not likely to succeed?  If
so, which?

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,