Xidorn Quan writes:

>> Would the color for the auto property be derived in such as way as
>> to hide the thumb or to make it constrast?
>
> No, currently we don't derive them from each other. We simply use some
> fallback color in that case.

How is the fallback color chosen?

> It is not impossible to derive them, but I would expect authors to specify
> them together.

We know from experience that authors will not in general specify
complete pairs of colors intended to contrast.

We need to ensure that if only one color is specified, then the
scrollbar is either consistently usable or consistently not.

We shouldn't add a feature that can lead to pages testing as
reasonable on some systems, but just causes them to render
unusable on others.