On 8/29/18 10:32 AM, Ted Mielczarek wrote:
so it's possible that there are things here that are artifacts of our tup build
implementation.

Worth keeping in mind, thank you. Would that possibly account for the exactly-the-same 99:44 rebuild times for a number of files?

Reading through this list again, I'm a little suspicious that testing/webdriver/src/lib.rs has the same rebuild time as servo/components/style/values/specified/mod.rs, for example...

Additionally, this data doesn't take rustc's incremental compilation feature
into account--if you have a previously-built objdir and you pull in some new
changes that touch those source files rustc ought to be able to compile the
style crate more quickly than it would for a clean build.

So for what it's worth, I keep seeing the style crate getting rebuilt locally when I make random build-system-ish changes (e.g. removing an xpidl file). I haven't measured to see how fast those rebuilds are (and in particular how they compare to a lean-slate build), but they are pretty slow in "how it feels" terms...

-Boris