On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 11:52:07AM -0400, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
FWIW, I think your original proposal, having a way to opt into assertions
without a slow build locally, is extremely valuable.  I could see myself
using that option intentionally even with the pain points I described
above, but for dogfooding rather than while working on a patch and such.

I agree. A separate build flag to enable most assertions without doing a full debug build would be extremely useful. I would probably leave that enabled most of the time, even though I rarely do debug builds in normal development.