I've looked at the UX spec and Sylvestre's announcement, and I have
some relevant experience here working on teams which have used the
"enhancement" value of the "severity" field with the intent of using
that information to monitor our rate of defect introduction.

That workflow has turned out to have a footgun that has polluted our
usage, which appears to me to be replicated here, and which I think
has a simple fix.  I'd be curious to hear thoughts:

In particular, the severity field defaults to "normal", which we'd
like to use to mean a "normally severe defect".  Unfortunately,
because the default is set to "normal" and because Bugzilla has such a
large number of fields, what it actually means in practice is either
"normally severe defect" or "bug-filer was in a hurry or not paying
attention", with no easy way to tell the difference.  And that happens
a non-trivial amount of the time.

Some fields in bugzilla have a "---" value (including severity, but
it's not the default).  This can be used to mean "not-entered" or
"untriaged", completely eliminating the "hard-to-detect-bad-data
issue".

I'm concerned that the Type field as currently proposed (i.e. no ---
field as default) has effectively the same footgun, which will make
the data we gather with it less useful.

Thoughts?

Dan