On Thursday 2019-07-11 10:59 -0400, Jeff Muizelaar wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:46 AM Emilio Cobos Álvarez <emi...@crisal.io>
> wrote:
> > On 7/10/19 11:01 PM, Connor Brewster wrote:
> > > Hi David,

> > > The idea here is that @supports would reflect whether or not
> > > backdrop-filter and WebRender are enabled. This would allow web
> > > authors to add a fallback style if needed. I do agree that this would
> > > cause some confusion and needs more discussion.
> >
> > This seems pretty hard to do right / pretty awkward. @supports must
> > reflect whether the property parses. Not enabling the property if
> > webrender is not enabled seems hacky, but doable.
> >
> > But if you have WebRender enabled and your GPU process crashes, going
> > all the way back to the style system to invalidate everything doesn't
> > seem trivial / worth the effort. It seems pretty hard actually.
>
> I feel like having the wrong results from @supports in this case is
> probably acceptable.
> I suspect background-filter is rarely used in ways that lying in
> @supports causes a website to become unusable.
>
> I see disabling it in @supports as sort a best effort kind of thing as
> opposed to needing to be perfect.

I don't think having a CSS feature that stops working if the GPU
process crashes is acceptable.  It's not a coherent story to web
developers, and it means that once sites start relying on the
feature (which they'll think they can do because it looks like it
works), pages will be broken for some portion of our users.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.