On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:28 AM L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:
> I don't think having a CSS feature that stops working if the GPU
> process crashes is acceptable.  It's not a coherent story to web
> developers, and it means that once sites start relying on the
> feature (which they'll think they can do because it looks like it
> works), pages will be broken for some portion of our users.

I believe there's some precedent for this. I have a vague memory of a
browser which didn't have working 3d transforms if not run with a GPU.
Further, I'm not sure that having a broken backdrop filter is that
much worse an experience than the performance degradation that comes
from disabling GPU acceleration. That being said, I agree it's not an
ideal situation.

I think we can probably postpone making a decision about this until we
have a working implementation on top of WebRender. We'll then be in a
better spot to evaluate the work needed to make this work with
non-WebRender vs waiting for WebRender everywhere vs the weirdness of
partially shipping it as proposed here.

-Jeff