On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 3:16 AM Mike Hommey <m...@glandium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 10:32:20PM -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> > On 5/21/19 9:55 PM, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > > Considering this has apparently been broken for so long, I guess nobody
> > > will object to me removing the option for Gecko builds?
> >
> > It's probably fine, yeah...
>
> Now removed on autoland via bug 1554056.

Thanks.

It appears that building jsrust_shared is still conditional on
ENABLE_WASM_CRANELIFT. How optional is ENABLE_WASM_CRANELIFT in
practice these days? Is it genuinely optional for Firefox? Is it
genuinely optional for standalone SpiderMonkey? If it is, are we OK
with building without ENABLE_WASM_CRANELIFT having other non-Cranelift
effects on SpiderMonkey performance (e.g. turning off SIMD for some
operations) or on whether a particular string conversion is available
in jsapi.h?

I'm trying to understand the implication of Cranelift being optional
for other Rust code in SpiderMonkey. I'd like to add Rust-backed
SIMD-accelerated Latin1ness checking and UTF-8 validity checking to
SpiderMonkey and Rust-backed conversion from JSString to UTF-8 in
jsapi.h, and my understanding from All Hands was that adding these
things would be OK, since SpiderMonkey already depends on Rust.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@mozilla.com