On 23/08/2019 04:00, Mike Hommey wrote:
I had a similar experience on a 36-core machine earlier today. It seems
incremental is not working properly for the style crate: incremental is
supposed to have the same effect as sccache, but it still takes a long
time to compile style. I'm told mw is going to look into this in the
coming weeks.

I don’t know how much it has evolved since, but the initial versions of incremental compilation in rustc only cached code generation in LLVM. Type checking, trait resolution, etc. was still done every time rustc was invoked for a crate.

--
Simon Sapin