On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 9:37:12 AM UTC+2, Simon Sapin wrote:
> On 23/08/2019 04:00, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > I had a similar experience on a 36-core machine earlier today. It seems
> > incremental is not working properly for the style crate: incremental is
> > supposed to have the same effect as sccache, but it still takes a long
> > time to compile style. I'm told mw is going to look into this in the
> > coming weeks.
>
> I don’t know how much it has evolved since, but the initial versions of
> incremental compilation in rustc only cached code generation in LLVM.
> Type checking, trait resolution, etc. was still done every time rustc
> was invoked for a crate.
>
> --
> Simon Sapin

With recent versions of `rustc`, incremental compilation caches pretty much
everything after parsing and macro expansion. However, the style crate in
particular has proven to be rather resistant to our incremental compilation
approach so far. I will indeed spend quite a bit of time investigating this
over the next few months.