Hi all,

I have written a new stack-fixing tool, called `fix-stacks`, which
symbolizes stack traces produced by Firefox.

`fix-stacks` is intended to replace our existing stack-fixing scripts,
`fix_{linux,macosx}_stack.py` and `fix_stack_using_bpsyms.py`, which are
used (a) on many test outputs, both locally and on automation, and (b) by
DMD, Firefox's built-in heap profiler.

`fix-stacks` is now installed by `mach bootstrap` on Windows, Mac, and
Linux. It is usable from Python code via the `fix_stacks.py` wrapper
script. Its code is at https://github.com/mozilla/fix-stacks/.

In bug 1604095 I replaced the use of `fix_{linux,macosx}_stack.py` with
`fix_stacks.py` for DMD, with the following benefits.

* On Linux, stack-fixing of DMD output files (which occurs when you run
`dmd.py`) is roughly 100x faster. On my Linux box I saw reductions from
20-something minutes to ~13 seconds.

* On Mac, stack-fixing of DMD output files on Mac is roughly 10x faster. On
my Mac laptop I saw reductions from ~7 minutes to ~45 seconds.

* On Windows, stack-fixing of DMD output files now occurs. (It previously
did not because there is no `fix_window_stacks.py` script.) This means that
DMD is now realistically usable on Windows without jumping through hoops to
use breakpad symbols.

There is more work to be done. Soon, I plan to:

* use `fix-stacks` on test outputs (in `utils.py` and `automation.py.in`);

* re-enable stack fixing on Mac test runs on local builds, which is
currently disabled because it is so slow;

* add breakpad symbol support to `fix-stacks`;

* remove the old scripts.

The tree of relevant bugs can be seen at
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=1596292&hide_resolved=1
.

The stack traces produced by `fix-stacks` are sometimes different to those
produced by the old stack-fixers. In my experience these differences are
minor and you won't notice them if you aren't looking for them. But let me
know if you have any problems.

Nick