On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 11:27, Andrew Sutherland <asutherl...@asutherland.org>
wrote:

> Does this eliminate the need documented at
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/Mochitest#stacks
> to acquire a `minidump_stackwalk` binary and then expose it via
> MINIDUMP_STACKWALK environment variable to get symbolicated backtraces when
> local test runs crash?  Or is that part of the future work to "use
> `fix-stacks` on test outputs"?

The short answer is "that is part of the future work".

The long answer is: the following is my understanding, which could be wrong
in places, because this stuff is surprisingly complicated. Also, the
following is all about vanilla local builds that don't involve breakpad
symbols; automation builds are a bit different.

Currently:
- On Linux debug builds, you will get a symbolicated stack trace for the
following test suites: reftests, jsreftests, crashtests, gtests,
mochitests, cppunittests, xpcshelltests, and maybe web platform tests but
I'm not sure about them.
- On Mac debug builds you won't get symbolication; we have code to do
symbolication in the same circumstances as on Linux, but it's currently
disabled due to being so slow (bug 1543447).
- On Windows debug builds you won't get symbolication because we don't even
have code to do that.
- On opt builds you won't get symbolication on any platform.

Here is the function that these test suites use to enable symbolication,
which I will soon be modifying:
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/testing/mozbase/mozrunner/mozrunner/utils.py#227-285
.

Once bugs 1619837 and 1602717 are completed, you will get symbolicated
stack traces on Linux/Mac/Windows debug builds, and you shouldn't need to
use `minidump_stackwalk`.

Nick