One other note: I don't think we should be too concerned about the specific
multiple-graphics-backends situation arising frequently in the future. The
goal is to have a single backend (WebRender) going forward, and last I
checked the plan was to completely drop all other backends within the next
12 months.

Gating this particular feature on Nightly and Early Beta for now seems like
a reasonable compromise.