On 15/09/2020 16:03, Brian Grinstead wrote:

> We’re rolling out a change to the review process to put more focus on automated testing. [...]

As others have said, it's great that we're setting a clearer policy here - thanks!

One thing did strike me as a little surprising, and could perhaps be clarified:

> * testing-exception-other: Commits where none of the defined exceptions above apply but it should still be landed. This should be scrutinized by the reviewer before using it - consider whether an exception is actually required or if a test could be reasonably added before using it. This requires a comment from the reviewer explaining why it’s appropriate to land without tests.

The point that caught my eye here was that it explicitly requires the explanatory comment to be *from the reviewer*. I would have thought that in many cases it would make sense for the *patch author* to provide such an explanatory comment (which the reviewer would of course be expected to scrutinize before granting r+). Is that scenario going to be considered unacceptable?

Thanks,

JK