Looking at the "Server Settings" panel for an email account in Firefox 1.5, I see these options:

Security Settings
  Use secure connection:
    () Never
    () TLS, if available
    () TLS
    () SSL
  [] Use secure authentication

I'm curious what "use secure authentication" actually does. I'd like to see security be really easy for users, and I think they will find it confusing (I certainly do) that "use secure authentication" is separate from "use secure connection". How do the two differ?

I have a few theories:

1. Maybe "use secure authentication" is only meaningful when "use secure connection" is set to "never", and in this case the effect of "use secure authentication" is to encrypt the username/password exchange, but use an unencrypted connection to transfer mail. Certainly when I choose SSL, packet traces don't show a cleartext username or password, even when "use secure authentication" is unchecked, so I get the feeling that choosing SSL makes "use secure authentication" unnecessary. If this is the case, then I think the UI should be modified as follows:

Security Settings
  Use secure connection:
    () Never
    () Only for authentication
    () TLS, if available
    () TLS
    () SSL

2. Maybe "use secure authentication" doesn't refer to encryption; maybe instead it refers to a more robust authentication protocol. Maybe something more than just username and password are exchanged in this kind of setup. If this is the case, I'd be a big fan of explaining this in some way - maybe more verbose text in the checkbox label?

Basically, I think users should easily be able to answer the question: do I have a secure configuration that I'm comfortable with? If my server supports SSL, but doesn't support secure authentication (which is nicely indicated by a dialog box), is that OK, or do I need to look for a better ISP?

Many thanks for any clarification.