Regarding this Incident,

1, We prompt to response to Microsoft and Apple, and actively send incident
report and CRL to Mozilla ASAP. We request MCS to take steps do more
investigate. Quoting  MCS report as following,

“ MCS had received the Sub-ordinate certificate from CNNIC on mentioned
date and started the test on same day inside MCS lab which is a protected

environment, MCS had assured to store the private key in a FIPS compliant
device (Firewall), to run the test which had started with no incidents on

Thursday, and for the sack of unintentional action the Firewall had an
active policy to act as SSL forward proxy with an automatic generation for a

certificates for browsed domains on the internet, which had been taken place
on a weekend time (Friday, and Saturday) during unintentional use from one

of the IT Engineers for a browsing the internet using Google Chrome which
had reported a miss-use at Google’s End.”

MCS confirms that the reported issue is a human mistake that took place
unintentionally through a single PC inside MCS Lab which had been

dedicated for testing purposes. Quoting google spokesman, confirms: "We have
no indication of abuse, and we are not suggesting that people

change passwords or take other action". Claims by some public reports are
inconsistent with statement by Google spokesman for abuse or spying activity
for any traffic:

“Google does not, however, believe the certificates were used for that
purpose”. As stated by Google spokesman.

2, CNNIC request MCS to provide the screenshots and logs of detailed
information of certificate issue, including SSL firewall logs, internet
browsing logs of Google websites browsing records from personal browsers. We
will update to Mozilla forum while we get and analyze the logs.

3, CNNIC are planning to update CA system to add name constrains function.

4, CNNIC will evaluate business security of the external subCA authorized
and management

5, The device MCS used to mis-issuance cert is PaloAlto Firewall, we may
consult more technical details about how it works as a SSL proxy and issue
the cert automatically.

We apply Mozilla do not remove CNNIC root from trust store as this is
absolutely not a intension mis-issuance. CNNIC signed intermediate root for
2 weeks test, MCS signed cert for testing propose in Lab. While they made
mistake, we prompt revoke the intermediate root not led to more harmful
result.

Regards,

An Yin