From: Matt Palmer
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 3:51 AM
To: dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re:答复: 答复:Consequences of mis-issuance under CNNIC

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 02:41:03PM +0800, Man Ho (Certizen) wrote:

> On 3/27/2015 1:29 AM, Charles Reiss wrote:
> > Although it's rather irrelevant to whether CNNIC has complied with Mozilla's
> > policies: This device designed to issue certs without verifying domain
> > control.
> > Does CNNIC not regard this as strong evidence that MCS's agreement was made
> > in
> > bad faith?
>
> Yeah, if this device is designed to issue certificates automatically.
> Why does it have this feature? The answer is obviously for traffic
> monitoring. But then why Paloalto would develop such problematic feature
> which violate security principle? If it is a common feature in Paloalto
> firewall (or even other brands of firewalls), I'd believe that many
> organizations are doing the same thing. Should firewall vendors or
> developers take some responsibilities too?

I don't see why -- there are legitimate(ish) reasons for wanting to do this,
and within a closed ecosystem, where everyone is OK with it (or, if they're
not OK with it, they'd be fired) there's no reason not to use the device.

The *correct* way to deploy these devices is to generate a local root CA
certificate and install that in the trust store of all devices which use the
network. That is perfectly legitimate, once again, because the owner of the
device gives permission to do so (typically, all devices are owned by the
organisation deploying the appliance).

What *is* a shady practice is what's gone on here -- MCS got a
globally-trusted intermediate CA private key and cert and used that to MitM.
The problem with this is that it allows MCS to intercept and inspect traffic
from devices which have *not* consented to have their traffic so
manipulated.

A root CA which allows such an activity to take place is not, IMO, worthy of
the trust placed in it by the greater public, and therefore I'm in favour of
CNNIC's removal from the Mozilla trust store (preferably with one of the
user-harm-minimisation strategies that others have described).

- Matt

--
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways