On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 8:04 AM, Peter Kurrasch <fhw...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Certificate Transparency gets us what we want, I think. CT works
>> globally, and is safer, and significantly changes the trust equation:
>> ‎
>> * Reduces to marginal/effectively destroys the attack value of mis-issuance
>
> Please clarify this statement because, as written, this is plainly not true.
> The only way to reduce the value is if someone detects the mis-issuance and
> then takes action to resolve it.

Yes, I am assuming that — it's the foundational and necessary
assumption of any audit system.

The Googles, Facebooks, PayPals, ... of the world care very much about
mis-issuance for their domains. Activists and security experts and
bloggers and reporters are always looking for fun stuff, and are
generally capable of writing shell scripts.

> From what I've seen so far, both are major gaps in CT as a security feature.

What have you seen so far that leads you to believe that? Are there
mis-issuances in the existing CT logs that nobody has called attention
to...?