Its hard not to agree with you.
>At the most basic level, it's not clear to me >to whom this legislation is
>directed. Is it >citizens within the EU?
This is funniest part of the game, in fact member states supposed to maintain
their TSLs but to my best knowledge, there is no obligation to anybody or any
public service to rely on those lists.
Also according to the legislation those lists are maintained primarily by the
agencies (so called supervising bodies) that are responsible for the legal
recognition of of TSPs (CAs), which in practice leads to even more confuse and
contraversy. Don't be suprised if you find the same supervisors adopting their
own rules (for legal recognition of TSPs) which turns out to be an alternative
to an applicable audit.
So I'd say your concerns are quite close to real picture.
At the same time IMHO the use of harmonized  trust anchor containers (in
technical sense) at the OS level or even by the browsers should have been
welcomed by many application developers.
Thanks,M.D.
Sent from my Samsung device