On 11/3/15 7:09 PM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
On Tue, November 3, 2015 4:24 pm, Kathleen Wilson wrote:
  Topic to discuss [1]:
  (D3) Make the timeline clear about when the audit statements and
  disclosure has to happen for new audited/disclosed subCAs.

  What further clarification needs to be added to Mozilla’s CA Certificate
  Policy to make it more clear when the audit statements and disclosure
  has to happen for new subCAs?

Thanks for continuing to drive the discussion, Kathleen.

I think with respect to the Mozilla policy, the Baseline Requirements
themselves are quite explicit as to what the requirements are, and they're
a reasonable set of requirements. Where the disconnect appears to be is
how these are translated into auditable criteria under WebTrust or ETSI,
which unfortunately seems to be what a number of CAs (particularly ETSI
CAs, based on the issues) are relying on, rather than the standard they're
held to.

There are a number of ways to draw attention to this, but I think we
should be careful about how much attention we draw to it, relative to the
BRs as a whole.

I'm not necessarily advocating these options, but hopefully they can spark
a more thoughtful and thorough discussion:

Example 1: "The CA with a certificate included in Mozilla’s CA Certificate
Program
MUST disclose this information prior to the signing of the subordinate CA
certificate."

Example 2: "The CA with a certificate included in Mozilla's CA Certificate
Program MUST disclose this information following the completion of a point
in time readiness assessment, as described in Section 8.[whatever] of the
Baseline Requirements, and prior to the issuance of the first Publicly
Trusted Certificate."

Example 3: Keep the present language, but similar to documents such as
https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Schedule or
https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:How_to_apply as an informal explanation of the
technical language.

I can think of pros and cons for each of these examples, but I present
them as ways to get people to think of the issues, as well as to see if
there are alternative solutions to the issue raised.

Thanks, Ryan. All 3 of those examples seem like reasonable options to me.

Does anyone else have an opinion about this?

In regards to the timeline of when a CA must publicly disclose their non-technically-constrained intermediate certs...

How about for the case of cross-signing with an existing CA whose root cert is *not* currently included in Mozilla's root store?

How about for the case of cross-signing with an existing CA whose root cert *is* currently included in Mozilla's root store?

Thanks,
Kathleen