From: Peter Bowen [mailto:pzbo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 12:33 AM
To: Richard Wang <rich...@wosign.com>
Cc: Rob Stradling <rob.stradl...@comodo.com>; Peter Gutmann
<pgut...@cs.auckland.ac.nz>; mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: [FORGED] Name issues in public certificates

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 6:12 AM, Richard Wang <rich...@wosign.com> wrote:
> I also found some mistakes for the list:
> 1. I see some client certificate in the report that it say the email
> as common name is wrong;

I filtered for certificates that includes the serverAuth EKU or do not include
any EKUs.  Can you provide an example of a clientAuth certificate that was
incorrectly included?

> 2. IP address is allowed by BR;

IP addresses are only allowed in the commonName or as IPAddress type in the
SAN extension.  If the rule is _ipv4_not_allowed_here, then that means that an
IP address was included in a SAN as a DNS Name, which is disallowed. I will
also fix the IP check to differentiate between reserved IPs (as defined in the
BRs) and special purpose IPs (which are allowed if not reserved).  The BRs do
not clearly state that 192.168.0.0/24, 172.16.0.0/12, and other special
purpose IPs are disallowed.

> 3. IDN is allowed, but also in the report

See my note to Rob; I'm fixing that.  I misread RFC 5280 section 7.2.

Thanks,
Peter