On Wednesday, 29 June 2016 04:13:59 UTC+1, Matt Palmer  wrote:
> The only difference here between LE and every other CA is that issuance from
> LE is free.

Nope. StartSSL and WoSign offer free issuance, Comodo offers a free "trial"
which would be perfectly good for criminal enterprise. Symantec has a partner
deal which is free at point of use, I'm sure I missed others, in effect free DV
is the baseline product today.

Let's Encrypt is different in two significant ways, (1) they're a
not-for-profit which eliminates the profit motive that has driven CA behaviours
which were variously unsafe for the web PKI or terrible for subscribers; (2)
they implement an IETF standards track mechanism for issuance

> While it's not a meaningful speedbump for the modern criminal,
> it does at least mean they've got to find a stolen CC.

Nope. You can buy a "prepaid" EMV card at a corner store. If you're under-25
it's probably easier to buy a prepaid card than a bottle of liquor in many
countries.