On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 4:50 AM, Peter Gutmann <pgut...@cs.auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

> Nick Lamb <tialara...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >ACME is a protocol intended to become an IETF Standards Track RFC.
>
> Oh dear God, another one?  We've already got CMP, CMC, SCEP, EST, and a
> whole
> slew of other ones that failed to get as far as RFCs, which all do what
> ACME
> is trying to do.  What's the selling point for ACME?  That it blows up in
> your
> face at the worse possible time?

Read the draft, man.  ACME is targeted at a problems that none of those
other protocols solve -- most critically, enabling the applicant to
demonstrate control of an identifier.  That's the reason you have all of
these CA proprietary APIs and ACME; these previous efforts failed to solve
the problems people actually cared about.

--Richard