From: Peter Bowen [mailto:pzbo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:45 AM
To: Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org>
Cc: Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.row...@digicert.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org; Richard Wang <rich...@wosign.com>
Subject: Re: Incidents involving the CA WoSign

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> On 24/08/16 17:12, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
>> On incident 2, it sounds like they are both using the same
>> auto-generation script.
>
> It seems like a bit more than that, doesn't it? Let's presume that
> WoSign did not ship a copy of their intermediate cert's private key to
> StartCom. Therefore, this cert must have been issued on the back end
> by some sort of WoSign system. So either WoSign's back-end issuing
> service has some form of authentication and the StartCom system had
> those credentials (why?), or the WoSign system does not have any form
> of authentication (concerning).

I think you are missing the most likely option: CA hosting.  My understanding
is that it is not uncommon that one CA operator contracts with another CA
operator to run a CA on behalf of the first operator.  I don't think it has
been clear what disclosure of this practice is required.  Given that I believe
this is widespread, I assumed that all of the issuing CAs in this case were
operated by the same entity.

Thanks,
Peter