From: Gervase Markham [mailto:g...@mozilla.org]
Sent: Friday, September 2, 2016 6:07 PM
To: Richard Wang <rich...@wosign.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Incidents involving the CA WoSign

Hi Richard,

On 01/09/16 04:04, Richard Wang wrote:
> First, please treat WoSign as a global trusted CA, DON'T stamp as
> China CA. We need a fair treatment as other worldwide CAs that I am
> sure WoSign is not the first CA that have incident and not the serious
> one;

We are keen to treat WoSign as a global CA. It's certainly true that we would
be having this discussion about any other global CA which had had such a list
of incidents. However, it seems that you are advancing arguments - such as "we
are Chinese; we can't be expected to fully understand standards written in
English" - which ask for special consideration as a Chinese CA rather than a
global CA. And, as others have pointed out in this thread, WoSign is very happy
to be seen as a China CA for marketing purposes inside China.

> Second, I supplement some data for your reference, please consider
> those subscribers benefit, especially from many underdeveloped
> countries that can't afford the too expansive SSL certificate.

WoSign is not the only company to offer free SSL certificates. But also, this
seems like arguing "we're too big for you to take action against us".

> Third, I believe no one dare to say his system no bug, WoSign admitted
> we have system bug that issued the wrong certificate and fixed. This
> is why WoSign is the first CA in the world for volunteering to
> "Require CT", we like to use CT mechanism to find out the bug quickly
> and reduce the lost to minimum,

That seems to me to be outsourcing your quality control to a set of third
parties. I would say that any CA should have independent systems which check
every certificate issued, before it is sent to the customer, for a long list of
possible faults, and hold the certificate for manual review if any of those
faults are found. That's what I'd do if I were running a CA, anyway. Saying
"it's all in CT, so we can find problems after issuance" does not, to my mind,
take misissuance appropriately seriously.

> Thanks a million.

(Just as a note, I would advise against using this English phrase, as it has
acquired a sarcastic overtone in normal usage.)

Gerv