On Friday, 2 September 2016 08:50:02 UTC+1, Eddy Nigg  wrote:
> Lets speak about relying parties - how does this bug affect you?

As a relying party I am entitled to assume that there is no more than one
certificate signed by a particular issuer with a certain serial number. If I
have seen this certificate and verified by whatever means I choose that it's
OK, then I can safely assume that any time I see a certificate in the future
signed by that issuer with that same serial number it's the same one, and skip
the verification process.

Except, with StartCom apparently this very basic rule is broken, and in fact at
any time I may be presented with a certificate I haven't previously verified,
but which has the exact same serial number as an earlier one.