Kyle,

It is one trying to say NSS doesn't let you have multiple certificates with the
same issuer and serial, which is factually true, but it's another to suggest
this means it pins as you described, which is incorrect speculation.

I appreciate your attention to detail citing X.509, but let's not forget that
it assumes the global directory of X.500 - which is a pure fiction that never
truly manifest. NSS enforces the fictional, technically non-existent, entirely
unreasonable assumption the Disitinguished Names are hierarchal and unique,
neither of which is true, and enforces a serial number uniqueness upon that
assumption, which can lead to trivial DoS issues for NSS using applications.

I mention all of this so that we can ignore the distraction presented by Eddy
as to impact of relying parties, and instead focus on the technical conformance
that was violated here. These certs won't work in NSS applications
simultaneously, and they have to be revoked simultaneously, and both of these
are explicitly undesirable. But more importantly, it is not for a CA to decide
what violations are acceptable or not acceptable, or what their timeline is
going to be for conformance, because otherwise that's indistinguishable from an
absence of standards. If there are legitimate concerns with the standards as
written, then it's worth publicly discussing to change the standards, but it's
not acceptable to ignore them because it is inconvenient to conform, nor is
"it's hard" a suitable response to continued misissuance.