On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 3:58:34 PM UTC-7, Peter Bowen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 6:08 AM, Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> > Several incidents have come to our attention involving the CA "WoSign".
> > Mozilla is considering what action it should take in response to these
> > incidents. This email sets out our understanding of the situation.
> >
> > Before we begin, we note that Section 1 of the Mozilla CA Certificate
> > Enforcement Policy[0] says: "When a serious security concern is noticed,
> > such as a major root compromise, it should be treated as a
> > security-sensitive bug, and the Mozilla Policy for Handling Security
> > Bugs should be followed." It is clear to us, and appears to be clear to
> > other CAs based on their actions, that misissuances where domain control
> > checks have failed fall into the category of "serious security concern".
>
> Gerv and team,
>
> In addition to the direct impact, I note that WoSign is the subject of
> cross-signatures from a number of other CAs that chain back to roots
> in the Mozilla program (or were in the program).  For example:
>
> Cross issued to /C=CN/O=WoSign CA Limited/CN=CA
> \xE6\xB2\x83\xE9\x80\x9A\xE6\xA0\xB9\xE8\xAF\x81\xE4\xB9\xA6 by
> /C=IL/O=StartCom Ltd./OU=Secure Digital Certificate
> Signing/CN=StartCom Certification Authority expiring
> 2019-12-31T23:59:59Z
> Cross issued to /C=CN/O=WoSign CA Limited/CN=Certification Authority
> of WoSign by /C=IL/O=StartCom Ltd./OU=Secure Digital Certificate
> Signing/CN=StartCom Certification Authority expiring
> 2019-12-31T23:59:59Z
>
> Cross issued to /C=CN/O=WoSign CA Limited/CN=Certification Authority
> of WoSign G2 by /C=PL/O=Unizeto Sp. z o.o./CN=Certum CA expiring
> 2020-11-02T01:01:59Z
> Cross issued to /C=CN/O=WoSign CA Limited/CN=Certification Authority
> of WoSign G2 by /C=PL/O=Unizeto Sp. z o.o./CN=Certum CA expiring
> 2020-11-02T01:59:59Z
>
> Cross issued to /C=CN/O=WoSign CA Limited/CN=Certification Authority
> of WoSign by /C=US/ST=UT/L=Salt Lake City/O=The USERTRUST
> Network/OU=http://www.usertrust.com/CN=UTN - DATACorp SGC expiring
> 2019-06-24T19:06:30Z
> Cross issued to /C=CN/O=WoSign CA Limited/CN=Certification Authority
> of WoSign by /C=US/ST=UT/L=Salt Lake City/O=The USERTRUST
> Network/OU=http://www.usertrust.com/CN=UTN-USERFirst-Object expiring
> 2019-07-09T18:40:36Z
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) Should any action be taken against the operators of these CAs due
> to the incidents listed?
>
> My view is that the correct answer is "no, unless it is demonstrated
> that the CA operator had knowledge of undisclosed incidents", as I
> believe that the issuer should be able to rely upon the audit reports
> and continued inclusion in the Mozilla trust store as prima facie
> evidence of compliance with Mozilla policy.
>
> 2) If Mozilla decides to take action that results in WoSign no longer
> being directly trusted, do those CAs with unrevoked unexpired
> [...]

Peter,
I totally agree with your answers. However, relating to question 2, if WoSign
is restricted to a set of white-listed certs or revoked, I think the
restriction should apply regardless whether the cert is crossed signed or not.
This will render question 2 moot, as other CAs are effectively only
cross-signing the the set of white-listed certs. No certs will be trusted
anyway, if WoSign is outright revoked either.
I guess the only situation is that some future (misused) certs will be trusted
by products that hasn't implemented the whitelist approach, e.g by iOS. Then I
agree the other root certs should be treated as a subordinate CA.