On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Eddy Nigg <eddy_n...@startcom.org> wrote:
> On 09/23/2016 05:53 AM, Peter Bowen wrote:
>>
>> Review of StartCom audit reports
>> for the period 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2015
>>
>> Good:
>> - Uses AICPA standards
>> - Uses current criteria versions
>>
>> Bad:
>> - Only covers two roots, not subordinate CAs (true for all three
>> reports: CA, BR, and EV)
>> - Does not provide assurance that subordinate CA certificate requests
>> are accurate, authenticated, and approved
>> - Does not provide assurance that it meets the Network and Certificate
>> System Security Requirements as set forth by the CA/Browser Forum
>

> Speaking only for StartCom here, as far as I know and as per auditing
> standards, all intermediate CAs are audited (no external intermediates
> existed).
>
> As to network security, I believe this is part of the Baseline Requirements
> audit. But if necessary I can ask our auditors and also WebTrust directly if
> there is really missing something. I assume that all is included, covered
> and implied, but should a mistake have happened in the statements made by
> the auditors I'm sure we can get a corrected statement or explanation.

I'm super happy that this was all checked.  I know other auditors have
re-issued opinion letters when they missed things unintentionally.
Maybe you could ask EY to reissue to include the list of SubCAs and
the full coverage.  I noticed EY Israel got added back to the WebTrust
site, after being unintentionally dropped during the update to remove
non-CA auditors, so that should also enable posting it to the seal
archive.

One other question on your report:  It says the services were provided
at Eilat, Israel during the period Jan 1, 2015 to Dec 31, 2015.
Richard said in an email a few hours ago that the StartCom validation
team was also in the UK.  Did that team not spin up until January 2016
or later?

Thanks,
Peter