Indeed, Yahoo! has bad reputation on both spyware/malware[1] and censorship[2].

Ironically, Yahoo! Assistant, the successor of 3721 Internet Assistant (also
called 3721 helper) was identified as malware by 360Safe, which is a product of
Qihoo 360.[3]

In 2007, Eric Yang, the co-founder and CEO of Yahoo! faced questions from a
Congressional committee with respect to the company role in the arrests of
journalists in China.[4]

Recentlly, It was exposed that Yahoo! secretly built a custom software program
to search all of its customers' incoming emails for specific information.[5]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Yahoo!#Adware_and_spyware
[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Yahoo!#Work_in_the_People.27s_Republic_of_China
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Assistant