On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 7:27 AM, Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> I certainly think our view of redaction will be driven by use cases.
> AIUI, you are strongly encouraging use cases to be brought to the IETF.
> However, if 6962bis is in Last Call, and won't be updated, is the TRANS
> group still listening to and accumulating use cases for redaction?

(Chrome/Google hat)

6962-bis has completed WGLC. It describes the base mechanism for
logging certificates - but makes no statements about the policy (e.g.
when it is appropriate to log a certificate). It describes, at
present, a single technical mean to avoid logging a certificate. This
is covered in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis-20#section-4

The TRANS WG also seems to have rough consensus to continue to discuss
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-strad-trans-redaction/ on the
path to adoption. This draft would define additional methods for
redaction, as driven by the use cases, for which you could log a
'certificate' in a way with less information than the methods provided
by 6962-bis.

So the topic of redaction is by no means closed. Rather, it's being
worked on in parallel, with 6962-bis defining the 'base' technology,
and the redaction I-D covering more of the nuanced use cases.

You might imagine this as the distinction between 'certificates' and
'precertificates' within the existing CT ecosystem. A 'precertificate'
has a specific prescribed shape and signalling, and when implemented,
is 'as good as' logging the certificate. Similarly, the redaction ID
defines a specific shape of how to restrict some information from
being logged - without setting any policies on when it may or may not
be appropriate to employ that method, versus say 6962-bis full
certificate logging, or when 6962-bis' existing defined mechanism may
not be sufficient.

So the policy is disjoint from the technology (as IETF is awful with
policy and tries to avoid it, thankfully); the I-D describing the
technical forms to address the use cases is still under active work,
but in order to ensure a timely completion, we (Chrome) want to make
sure the use cases are fed in as much as possible early in the
process, to allow sufficient exploration of a technical solution, and
if a technical solution isn't viable, to push towards a policy
solution.