An edge case: works of the US government, whether documents or code, are
not copyrightable in the US, and so they can't be licensed or dedicated to
the public domain in the US. There is some discussion of this here:
https://theunitedstates.io/licensing/ (Note: I'm an author of that, in an
old work capacity.)

One approach I've seen US government groups take (and have taken in my
current work capacity) is to acknowledge that the contents are not
copyrightable in the US, while using CC0 for an international context:

https://github.com/18F/open-source-policy/blob/master/LICENSE.md

It's possible there are other edge cases out there that make blanket CC0 or
CC-BY nor practical. I think adding some catch-all text that allows for a
solution ensuring no copyright-based restrictions of any kind would allow
for the bit of flexibility those cases need.

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>