From: Rob Stradling [mailto:rob.stradl...@comodo.com]
Sent: Monday, January 9, 2017 9:28 AM
To: Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.row...@digicert.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Update on transition of the Verizon roots and issuance of SHA1
certificates

On 03/11/16 19:34, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
<snip>

Hi Jeremy.

> 7.       The Belgium government is our biggest challenge in migrating
Verizon customers. With over 20 issuing CAs, Belgium has the largest
outstanding non-compliant infrastructure. The operators have also claimed
that revoking their issuing CAs is illegal (in Belgium). The government is
using the issuing CA for creating personal identification (e-ID) cards
throughout the country. The Belgium government has dictated that they set
the rules, not us. Although the Belgium government does not have an audit
yet, Verizon has represented that the issuing CAs are hosted in the Verizon
infrastructure and are potentially covered by the Verizon audit.

I've noticed that some of the Belgian government CAs have been disclosed to
the CCADB with the CP/CPS and Audit fields marked as "Same as Parent",
whereas the CP/CPS and Audit fields for the rest of those CAs have not yet
been filled in.

If it's true that all of "the issuing CAs are hosted in the Verizon
infrastructure and are potentially covered by the Verizon audit", then it
would seem reasonable to expect to see the CP/CPS and Audit details for all
of the Belgian government CAs set identically.  Right?

Using the data on crt.sh (from which https://crt.sh/mozilla-disclosures
is produced), I've summarized the current Belgian government CA disclosures
in this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K4DEjqKvC5r_aiUGDYvbJBPVSOm8E6MO6RJQ
oj9zbrY/edit?usp=sharing

Were the "Same as Parent" tickboxes ticked correctly, or in error?

> We've asked Verizon to provide an updated audit report showing coverage of
the Belgium issuing CAs by December 1, 2016. If the report is not delivered
by December 1, 2016, we plan to immediately revoke the issuing CAs.

I note that you did not "immediately revoke" the issuing CAs on December 1,
2016.  Does this mean that Verizon did provide "an updated audit report
showing coverage of the Belgium issuing CAs" to DigiCert?

> If, for whatever reason, we are unable to revoke the issuing CAs at that
time, we would certainly not object to the browsers distrusting the issuing
CAs issued to Belgium.

Are you able to complete the Belgian government CA disclosures yet (either
by revoking the issuing CAs or by updating the CP/CPS and Audit details as
appropriate)?

Thanks.

--
Rob Stradling