See notes inline about known cities with numbers in their name.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Peter Bowen <pzbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While it is very hard to validate the subject content of certificates
> outside of DNS names, there are a number of heuristics that may be
> useful to trigger a deeper check to ensure that the data is accurate.
>
> A couple of these that I've found useful are:
>
> 1) If stateOrProvince or Locality type attributes contain a Number,
> this is a red flag.  I've yet to find any verified legitimate case
> where this is correct

Of course I hit send and then find a least one valid cases of a number:

In Egypt (EG) there is a city called "6th of October".

In the Czech Republic (CZ), ISO lists some subdivisions as having
numbers (https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:CZ).  Wikipedia
seems to suggest that these might not be current
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_the_Czech_Republic), but I
think it should be considered reasonable for a CA to rely upon ISO
3166.