On 2017-03-14 02:19, Peter Bowen wrote:
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Nick Lamb via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
On Monday, 13 March 2017 21:31:46 UTC, Ryan Sleevi  wrote:
Are you saying that there are one or more clients that require DigiCert to
support Teletext strings?

Can we stop saying Teletext? The X500 series standards are talking about
Teletex. One letter shorter.

Teletext was invented by the BBC, to deliver pages of text and block graphics
in the blanking interval on analogue television transmissions. It brought joy
to millions of people (especially nerds) around the world for several decades
prior to analogue television going off the air.

Teletex is an ITU standard, intended to supersede Fax but largely forgotten
because it turns out Internet email is what people actually wanted. Its text
encoding infested the X.500 series standards and thereby made dozens of people
miserable.

I thought teletex was there to make people who use reverse solidus
('\'), circumflex ('^'), grave accent ('`'), curly brackets ('{' and
'}') and tilde ('~') sad.

The 102 registration also has a ยค instead of a $ if I remember correctly. But that's just the default and with just a few bytes you can switch it to ASCII (registration 6).

Kurt