On 28/03/17 11:02, Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy wrote:
On 27/03/17 23:12, Andrew Ayer wrote:
My interpretation of the policy is that a CA could delay disclosure for
quite some time if the sub-CA is not used to issue certificates right
away.  If the sub-CA is created as a backup that is never used, the
disclosure would never need to happen.

I think this is bad.

Your case is missing the part where you explain why you think this is
bad :-) What risks are associated with undisclosed dormant sub-CA certs?

Increased attack surface. An undisclosed dormant sub-CA most likely has its private key in an online HSM, and so I think it's prudent to assume that it's more vulnerable (to being compromised by an attacker, or to being accidentally used to misissue a cert) than an offline root key.

IINM, the purpose (so far) of Mozilla's intermediate cert disclosure policy is to map the attack surface. Right?

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist