On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> The assumptions are:
>
> 0. All relevant root programs set similar/identical policies or they
>   get incorporatated into the CAB/F BRs on a future date.

This is not correct at present.

> 1. When the SubCA must be disclosed to all root programs upon the
>   *earlier* of issuance + grace period OR outside facility SubCA
>   receiving the certificate (no grace period).

This is not correct as proposed.

> 2. The SubCA must not issue any certificate (other than not-yet-used
>   SubCAs, OCSP certs and other such CA operation certs generated in the
>   same ceremony) until Disclosure to all root programs has been
>   completed.

This is correct.

> 3. Disclosing to an operational and not-on-holiday root program team
>   (such as the the CCADB most of the time) indirectly makes the SubCA
>   certificate available to the SubCA operator, *technically* (not
>   legally) allowing that SubCA to (improperly) start issuing before
>   rule #2 is satisfied.

And given that this disclosure (in the CCADB) satisfies #2, why is this an
issue?

> 5. SubCA Disclosure and processing of said disclosure should be done
>   nearly simultaneously to minimize the problem mentioned in 3.

I believe you're suggesting simultaneously across all root programs, is
that correct? But that's not a requirement (and perhaps based on the
incorrect and incomplete understanding of point 1)

I think the rest of the argument now falls apart.

> 7. Thus between performing the audited root key access ceremony to
>   issue one or more SubCA certificates etc., and actually disclosing
>   those SubCA certificates to the root programs, an issuing CA may have
>   to wait for all the root programs to be *simultaneously* ready to
>   receive the SubCA certificate, without violating the grace period as
>   per assumption #1.

This is definitely not correct, or at the least, this is not Mozilla's
problem to solve.

Thanks for clarifying your response. It's clear now we disagree because you
expect Mozilla to accommodate the entirety of all needs for all other
browser programs. That is something I fundamentally disagree with. It is
unnecessary to introduce complexity to the Mozilla process for hypothetical
third-parties. That is, in some degree, indistinguishable from concern
trolling (if insisted upon the hypothetical abstract, without evidence),
but is otherwise, not Mozilla's problem to solve the challenges for
hypothetical French and Russian programs. I think
https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:FAQ#Can_I_use_Mozilla.27s_set_of_CA_certificates.3F
is relevant to that case as it is to the general case.