On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Jeremy Rowley via dev-security-policy <

> Hi everyone,
>

> On Friday at 1:00 pm, we accidently introduced a bug into our issuance
> system that resulted in five serverAuth-code signing certificates that did
> not comply with the Baseline Requirements.  The change modified a handful
> of
> code signing certificates into a pseudo- SSL profile. Because they were
> intended to be code signing certificates, the certificates issued off a
> code-signing intermediate (with code-signing as the sole EKU). The
> certificates contain a servauth EKU despite the intermediate's EKU
> restriction. The certificates also lack a domain name. Instead, the CN and
> dNSName include the code signing applicant's name.  Because the certs lack
> domain name and there is an EKU mismatch between the issuer and end entity
> certs, the certs can't be misused.
>

> Our systems detected the issue shortly after the change. We corrected the
> code, and revoked the certificates. We already scanned our entire
> certificate database to ensure these are only the certificates affected by
> the bug.
>

> The certificates in question are:
>
> * 02CD2F16F3CA4FCC7378C917FFD5F6A0
>
> * 09A88902AF0698841167E814DB8B3FB8
>
> * 0D7C350D52821BFD2326270B9215DCE5
>
> * 0356D3A74CFA29BB5E65569E0532F134
>
> * 089FBE93D335ADB8BDFCDCF492083B68
>

> The bug was introduced, ironically, in code we deployed to detect potential
> errors in cert profiles. This error caused the specified code signing
> certificates to think they needed dNSnames and serverAuth. Let me know if
> you have questions.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jeremy

Thanks for posting this, Jeremy.

Are these certificates logged to Certificate Transparency? While not
wanting to suggest I'm doubting you, being able to demonstrate that all
intermediates they chain to are restricted from the serverAuth EKU is
useful.

I realize that's asking you to go above and beyond what you've disclosed so
far. I think if/once we can add clarity to the Baseline Requirements
regarding the scope, it would likely be clearer that these would be out of
scope of the Baseline Requirements, and thus any such disclosure only be
relative to root programs that recognize those paths as code-signing
capable.