-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+richard=wosign....@lists.mozilla.org] On
Behalf Of Steve Medin via dev-security-policy
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:48 AM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: RE: Symantec Conclusions and Next Steps

Feedback from our Enterprise Customers

In addition to our review of public commentary on these issues, we have also
sought input and feedback from Symantec customers on the compatibility and
interoperability impact of the significant changes that could result from the
implementation of Google’s proposal. These customers include many of the
largest financial services, critical infrastructure, retail and healthcare
organizations in the world, as well as many government agencies. This cohort is
an important constituency that we believe has been under-represented to date in
the public commentary that has been posted to the Google and Mozilla boards
since large organizations rarely authorize employees to engage in such public
discussions, particularly in an area related to security. We first solicited
feedback to understand the disruption that a browser-initiated trust change,
like the one proposed by Google, would cause organizations that opt to replace
their existing SSL/TLS certificates in order to maintain interoperability with
all browsers. We learned that these organizations’ publicly facing web
applications, while extensive, only represent a fraction of their dependency on
publicly trusted Symantec roots. Many large organizations have complex, and
potentially undocumented and little-known dependencies on their certificate
infrastructure. Examples of complex dependencies on Symantec public roots that
our customers have shared or we have identified include:

- Embedded devices that are pinned to certificates issued by a Symantec public
root to communicate to resources over the Internet or Intranet. Replacing these
certificates would result in immediate failures and the need to recode and
reimage the firmware for these devices.
- Mobile applications that have pinned certificates. Replacing server
certificates would require these applications to be recoded, recompiled and
redistributed.
- Critical infrastructure organizations that use certificates issued off of
Symantec roots to validate internal and external resources. In many cases the
applications being used are pinned to Symantec certificates.
- Some large organizations use certificates chained to Symantec public roots
for nearly all internal applications and communications. Many of these
organizations are under regulatory requirements to encrypt even internal
communications.

Additionally, many of these organizations estimate that just the planning
process to prepare to move to a new certificate authority could take many
months and in some cases years because of unknown and undocumented
dependencies. Moreover, few large enterprises that we’ve received feedback from
have implemented the level of certificate lifecycle automation required to
enable safe and cost-effective adoption of shorter validity certificates. We
believe that it is important for the broader community to understand and give
more weight to these compatibility and interoperability risks, particularly
given the fact that many of these organizations are prohibited from commenting
publicly on these topics.

To give a perspective of scale, Symantec secures more than 80% of the world’s
ecommerce transactions through its certificate infrastructure. Additionally,
Symantec is the world’s largest provider of Organization Validation (OV) and
Extended Validation (EV) certificates which are primarily used by large
enterprises. Many of these certificates sit inside corporate and government
networks and are an important part of the trust fabric of internal
communications.

In short, our assessment based on customer feedback is that the
interoperability and compatibility failures that could result from a
large-scale certificate replacement or invalidation event would be significant
and unpredictable.