On 19/05/17 14:47, Gervase Markham wrote:
> We need to have a discussion about the appropriate scope for:
>
> 1) the applicability of Mozilla's root policy
> 2) required disclosure in the CCADB

I've now reviewed the previous discussion we had on this topic, here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/ZMUjQ6xHrDA/ySofsF_PAgAJ

In it, Ryan writes: "This wording implies that technically constrained
sub-CAs, from a Mozilla Policy standpoint, are not required to adhere to
the Baseline Requirements."

I don't believe that's true now, if it ever was. I think the scope
statement in policy 2.4.1 section 1.1 and the BR applicability statement
in section 2.3 makes it clear that Mozilla policy applies, and Mozilla
policy expects the BRs to apply, to all certificates in publicly-trusted
hierarchies except those which are constrained to not issue/be used for
SSL or email.

However, that discussion suggests to me that we should do the following:

* Given CT, and the need within it to disclose TCSCs, the privacy
argument seems to have been abandoned. So I think it's reasonable to
also require disclosure of TCSCs themselves. This allows checking that
they are indeed appropriately constrained. The obvious place to put them
is the CCADB but it's possible we could consider something CT-based, as
we don't need to track the paperwork the CCADB stores (audits, etc.).

* So the options for intermediate certs would change from "(technically
constrained) or (publicly disclosed and audited)" to "(publicly
disclosed) and (technically constrained or fully audited)".

* In terms of my original message, this would mean adding type F) to the
CCADB disclosure list.

* We should consider going above and beyond the BRs by tweaking the
parameters for the section 8.7 audit of the certs below a TCSC. At the
moment, it's "the greater of one certificate or at least three percent
of the Certificates issued". I think it should be more like: MAX(MIN(5
certificates, all certificates), 3% of certificates). In other words:

Issued Audited
0      0
1      1
5      5
6      5
166    5
167    6

Auditing just a single certificate (currently OK up until 33 are issued)
makes it too easy to overlook problems when volumes are small.

Comments?

Gerv