On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy <

> On 02/06/17 15:53, Gervase Markham wrote:
> > https://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/symantec-s-
> response-google-s-subca-proposal
>
> I'm slightly surprised to see no engagement here. Perhaps it would be
> help to break it down. Symantec's specific requests for modification are
> as follows (my interpretation):

I suspect many of us are a bit exhausted by the discussion :-).
Particularly since at this point it feels like there's some divergence
between our goals of protecting security and not breaking the web. It's
clear that Symantec's actions for a much smaller CA would have resulted in
complete distrust (perhaps over time). That's not being pursued because
Symantec is too big too fail.

I'll try to engage on some specific points.

> 1) Scope of Distrust
>
> Google proposal: existing CT-logged certificates issued after 1st June
> 2016 would continue to be trusted until expiry.
> Symantec proposal: all CT-logged certificates should continue to be
> trusted until expiry.
> Rationale for change: if transparency is enough to engender trust, that
> principle should be applied consistently. This also significantly
> reduces the revalidation burden.

Transparency is not a magic solution to trust, though it is helpful. We
know that it primarily acts as a canary-in-the-coalmine, not perfect
coverage. Distrusting older certs issued under a less strict validation
regime makes sense.

> 2) Timeline
>
> Google proposal: a set of dates by which certain milestones must be
> achieved.
> Symantec proposal: no specific alternative dates (more info by the end
> of June), but the Google dates are too aggressive.
> Rationale: need to establish business relationships; capacity issues at
> Managed CAs; international requirements further complicate things; the
> revalidation burden is very large; writing solid code takes time.

I'm concerned that a lack of commitment to any particular date reflects a
lack of urgency for this process. Fundamentally, the legacy Symantec PKI
reflects risk for relying parties. Taking additional months or years to
move away from it is all time that RPs bear that risk.