On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Matthew Hardeman via
dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 7:44:08 PM UTC-5, Ben Wilson wrote:
>> I don't believe that disclosure of root certificates is the responsibility
>> of a CA that has cross-certified a key.  For instance, the CCADB interface
>> talks in terms of "Intermediate CAs".  Root CAs are the responsibility of
>> browsers to upload.  I don't even have access to upload a "root"
>> certificate.
>
> At least in terms of intention of disclosing the intermediates, I don't think
> you've made a fair assessment of the situation.
>
> The responsibility to disclose must fall upon the signer.  Not the one who
> was signed.
>
> Cross-signature certificates are, effectively, intermediates granting an
> alternate / enhanced validation path to trust to a distinct, separate
> hierarchy.
>
> While IdenTrust signs Let's Encrypt's intermediates rather than a cross-sign
> of their root, the principle is ultimately the same.  The browser programs
> clearly wish to have those who are positioned to grant trust accountable for
> any such trust that they grant.
>
> It's one question if the other root is already in the trust store, but
> imagine it's some large enterprise root that's been running, perhaps under
> appropriate audits but maybe not, cross-signed by a widely trusted program
> participant.
>
> Perhaps the text needs clarifying, but I find it hard to believe that any of
> the browser programs is of the opinion that you can cross-sign someone else's
> root cert and not disclose that.

I don't think that is the question at hand.  I think Ben means
"self-signed" or "self-issued" when he says "root" certificate.

I agree with Ben that self-signed certificates should be out of scope.
Self-issued certificates that are not self-signed probably should be
in scope.

Thanks,
Peter