On 09/06/2017 11:57, Rob Stradling wrote:
On 09/06/17 03:16, Peter Bowen via dev-security-policy wrote:
On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Jonathan Rudenberg via
dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

On Jun 8, 2017, at 20:43, Ben Wilson via dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

I don't believe that disclosure of root certificates is the responsibility of a CA that has cross-certified a key. For instance, the CCADB interface talks in terms of "Intermediate CAs". Root CAs are the responsibility of
browsers to upload.  I don't even have access to upload a "root"
certificate.

I think the Mozilla Root Store policy is pretty clear on this point:

All certificates that are capable of being used to issue new certificates, and which directly or transitively chain to a certificate included in Mozilla’s CA Certificate Program, MUST be operated in accordance with this policy and MUST either be technically constrained or be publicly disclosed and audited.

The self-signed certificates in the present set are all in scope for the disclosure policy because they are capable of being used to issue new certificates and chain to a certificate included in Mozilla’s CA Certificate Program. From the perspective of the Mozilla root store they look like intermediates because they can be used as intermediates in a valid path to a root certificate trusted by Mozilla.

There are two important things about self-issued certificates:

1) They cannot expand the scope of what is allowed.
Cross-certificates can create alternative paths with different
restrictions.  Self-issued certificates do not provide alternative
paths that may have fewer constraints.

2) There is no way for a "parent" CA to prevent them from existing.
Even if the only cross-sign has a path length constraint of zero, the
"child" CA can issue self-issued certificates all day long.  If they
are self-signed there is no real value in disclosing them, given #1.

I think that it is reasonable to say that self-signed certificates are
out of scope.

There's a signature chain, so they're clearly in scope (as far as the current policy is concerned).

The policy would need to be updated before we could say that they "*are* out of scope".

(FWIW, I agree that it's pointless for them to be in scope. However, the policy trumps my opinion).

What in the policy says they become in-scope from a certificate chain
that isn't "anchored" at a Mozilla trusted root?

And would someone please post those alleged certificate chains *explicitly* here, not just say they saw it "somehow".

Enjoy

Jakob