There's more than just a clue in the name drmlocal.cisco.com , if one
looks up this address in the DNS it returns the loopback IP 127.0.0.1
. http://dnstools.ws/tools/lookup.php?host=drmlocal.cisco.com&type=A
This can only mean that this address is fully intended to be referred
to only by one's own machine that the NowTV software is running on.
There's probably an architectural reason why a publicly trusted
certificate is used. But the way it's been implemented clearly does
mean that the private key ends up being shipped, which, even if it
didn't break the Baseline Requirements, it goes against the very
principle of PKI cryptography. Therefore the newly re-issued
certificate *will* end up with it's private key compromised *again*,
no matter how well it may be obfuscated in the application, it is
still against the very principle.
Is a publicly-trusted certificate even needed here? Another this could
have been done is what anti-virus programs often resort to doing:
installing a self-signed root into the OS (and other browser stores)
as part of the client installation process and generating certificates
on-the-fly directly off of it. But then that would mean that if anyone
compromised the key for that, it could potentially put many users whom
use NowTV at risk unless that self-signed root was constrained in some
way. *However* this would mean at least, it no longer breaks the
Baseline Requirements as it would no longer be within it's scope. I'm
no expert here at all, and I do dislike the idea of this kind of
behaviour completely (and I could be completely wrong about why
drmlocal.cisco.com is used). NowTV might want to consider their
options here, but shipping a private key and trusted certificate with
an application, really isn't the way. In summary: I believe a
compromise will happen again as it is clear drmlocal.cisco.com is
deliberately intended to refer to one's own machine.
Sam