I agree crypto algorithms are not "gotta catch 'em all", but the
algorithm is ECDH, which NSS must implement anyway to support P-256 and
P-384, and a curve is just another set of parameters to it. I also think
that there is little value and there is potential confusion (as we have
seen) in Mozilla mandating a more restrictive set than the BRs and than
Microsoft:

> NIST FIPS PUB 186-4 recommends 4 curves over Prime Fields for use in US
> public administration. These are:
> P-192, P-256, P-384, P-521
>
> Baseline Requirements require:
> P-256,        P-384 or  P-521
>
> Key Requirements for Microsoft Trusted Root Program:
> P-256, P-384, P-521
>
> Mozilla Root Store Policy:
> P-256, P-384

If there are, or become, interoperability issues in practice, then I
think we can leave that as the CA's lookout.

So I am currently minded to restore P-521 to the Mozilla permitted list.

Gerv
  • Re: P-521 Kurt Roeckx via dev-security-policy
  • Re: P-521 Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy
    • Re: P-521 Kurt Roeckx via dev-security-policy
      • Re: P-521 Alex Gaynor via dev-security-policy
        • Re: P-521 Tom . via dev-security-policy
          • Re: P-521 J.C. Jones via dev-security-policy
        • Re: [FORGED] Re:... Peter Gutmann via dev-security-policy
        • Re: P-521 Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
          • RE: P-521 Arkadiusz Ławniczak via dev-security-policy
            • FW: P-5... Arkadiusz Ławniczak via dev-security-policy
            • Re: FW:... Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Alex Gaynor via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy