> On Jul 5, 2017, at 4:23 AM, Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy
> <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
> On 03/07/17 17:44, Peter Bowen wrote:
>> We still need to get the policy changed, even with the ballot.  As
>> written right now, all name constrained certificates are no longer
>> considered constrained.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean... What's the issue you are raising here?

Right now (Policy v2.5) says:

Intermediate certificates which have at least one valid, unrevoked chain up to
such a CA certificate and which are not technically constrained to prevent
issuance of working server or email certificates. Such technical constraints
could consist of either:

an Extended Key Usage (EKU) extension which does not contain any of these
KeyPurposeIds: anyExtendedKeyUsage, id-kp-serverAuth, id-kp-emailProtection; or:
name constraints which do not allow Subject Alternative Names (SANs) of any of
the following types: dNSName, iPAddress, SRVName, rfc822Name
The second bullet says “any”.  As the rule for name constraints is that if they
are not present for a type, then any name is allowed, you have to include name
constraints for all four types.  The issue comes down to the definition of
“working server” certificates.  Mozilla does not use either rfc822names or
SRVName for name validation for server authentication, but you could have a
valid server certificate that has only these names.  Is NSS/Firefox code
considered a “technical constraint”?  If not, then all technically constrained
CA certificates need to have constraints on SRVName and rfc822Name type General
Names in addition to what they have now.

Thanks,
Peter