On 14/07/2017 18:19, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

On 14/07/2017 15:53, Ryan Sleevi wrote:

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:29 AM, Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

But that doesn't clearly include keys that are weak for other reasons,
such as a 512 bit RSA key with an exponent of 4 (as an extreme example).

Yes. Because that's clearly not necessary - because it's already covered
by
4.9.1.1 #3 and 6.1.5/6.1.6. So I don't think this serves as a valid
criticism to the proposed update.

That's why I called it an "extreme example".  Point was that the current
wording requires CAs to reject public keys that fail any reasonable test
for weakness not just the explicit cases listed in the BRs (such as too
short RSA keys or small composite public exponents).

For example if it is published that the RSA requirements in 6.1.6 are
insufficient (for example that moduli with more than 80% 1-bits are
weak), then the current wording of 6.1.1.3 would require CAs to
instigate such a test without waiting for a BR update.

Sure, but that's unrelated to the discussion at hand, at least from what
you've described. However, if I've misunderstood you, it might help if you
rephrase the argument from what was originally being discussed - which is
CAs issuing certificates for compromised keys - which are arguably distinct
from weak keys (which was the point I was making).

That's my point.  The current situation is distinct from weak keys, and
we shouldn't sacrifice the weak keys BR to make room for a compromised
keys BR.

Enjoy

Jakob