On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:49:20 AM UTC-5, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 20/07/17 21:31, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> > Broadly, yes, but there's unfortunately a shade of IP issues that make it
> > more difficult to contribute as directly as Gerv proposed. Gerv may accept
> > any changes to the Mozilla side, but if the goal is to modify the Baseline
> > Requirements, you'd need to sign the IPR policy of the CA/B Forum and join
> > as an Interested Party before changes.
>
> I'm on holiday at the moment but, as Ryan says, this particular part of
> what CAs do is the part most subject to IPR restrictions and so work on
> it is probably best done in a CAB Forum context rather than a more
> informal process.
>
> I will attempt to respond to your messages in more depth when I return.

Hi, Gerv,

I'm certainly willing and able to execute an IPR agreement in my own right
and/or on behalf of my company.

My concern is that I would like to have a more fully fleshed out proposal to
bring to the forum.  I have a strong understanding of the network and
interconnection environment as pertains the issue of IP hijacking, etc, but
significantly less understanding of the infrastructure side of the CA and so I
feel rather limited in being able to structure mitigations which are practical
for CAs to deploy.

In short I can point out the weak spots and the potential consequences of the
weak spots, and I can recommend mechanisms for reducing the risk, but I feel I
could much better recommend specific solutions and frameworks for addressing
the risks if I had a better understanding of typical CA interaction with the
outside network as well as a firmer understanding of the various trust
boundaries across the various CA elements.

Thanks,

Matt Hardeman